Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Single Sashimi by Camy Tang






Please welcome my guest blogger today, Camy Tang. Take it away...


Control

Venus in Single Sashimi is a lot like me in that she’s an absolute control freak.

(No! you say, Not Camy of the Excel spreadsheets and post-it notes on her closet doors.)

One reason I made Venus a control freak is because the whole “trust in God” thing is something I continually struggle with, and it’s always easier to write about what you know!

I’ll tell you right now, Venus’s control issues are not cured at the end of the book. Not even close.

But that’s real life. You don’t just pray suddenly and all your problems and issues disappear. (At least, they don’t disappear for me.)

I wanted to show Venus struggling—the way that I struggle—in hopes that readers will relate to her struggling and be encouraged by it.

Like Venus, we have good days and bad days. We have days we’ve surrendered to God and other days when we wrestle control back from Him.

But the point is that we continue to persevere to trust Him. And God honors us for that.

And I’m also hoping that Venus’s humorous episodes add a little levity to reader’s darker moments. Giving up control isn’t a ha-ha funny kind of issue to struggle with, and sometimes we need lighter moments to remind us that there is light at the end of the tunnel and God is waiting there.

So for all you fellow control freaks, take heart! Venus struggles just as we do … in her own wacky style.

Thanks for having me here, Angie!

Oh no, I'm blessed to have you visit, Camy!

Camy Tang writes romance with a kick of wasabi. She used to be a biologist, but now she is a staff worker for her church youth group and leads a worship team for Sunday service. She also runs the Story Sensei fiction critique service. On her blog, she gives away Christian novels every Monday and Thursday, and she ponders frivolous things like dumb dogs (namely, hers), coffee-geek husbands (no resemblance to her own...), the writing journey, Asiana, and anything else that comes to mind.

Visit her website at www.camytang.com/ for a huge website contest going on right now, giving away ten boxes of books and 30 copies of her latest release, SINGLE SASHIMI.

4 comments:

Camy Tang said...

Thanks for letting me guest blog, Angie!
Camy

Anonymous said...

As a recovering control freak, I can relate to your post. I say recovering because it's better, I'm not completely nuts about it any more, but it's still there, lurking, rearing it's ugly head now and again.....

And no, once a Christian, doesn't mean it all just goes away. We're not a perfect people. Just ones with Hope:-)

Missy Tippens said...

Well, from one control freak to another, I look forward to reading your new book Camy!! :)

Thanks for the great post.

Missy

Karen said...

Camy, I just finished Only Uni, so perfect timing on the release of Single Sashimi, lol. No, I'm not a control freak, that's my husband. I just want things like I want them, heh, heh, heh.

You remind me, I've got to clean up some of this piled up paperwork, so I can actually SEE my post-it notes.