Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Tea

Our family traditions tend to involve Afternoon Tea and that includes Easter :-)

This started many years ago on a vacation to Victoria, B.C. Who knew then how important the special meal at Bouchardt Gardens? Our family fully fell in love with the finger foods and specialties of English style tea.

It's interesting how food is the central element to any celebration. I take great pleasure in making everything by hand. It usually takes me days to prepare.

This year, I've had to make some hard choices in how I spend my time as I build the foundation for Gems of Wisdom, the business. I capitulated and have created the majority of the Easter Tea from things I bought. I've even let people help me this year.

The focus is going to be on lots of fresh berries and fruits. The savories are the absolutely must have Scotch Eggs, egg salad and cucumber finger sandwiches. The dessert is a store bought angel food cake filled with blackberries and strawberries and then dolloped with a light, quick lemon pudding sauce. I even found orange sliced pound cake to serve as the tea bread. Then I picked up tiny peach tarts, strawberry/rhubarb tarts and lemon hot-cross buns. Family are bringing more fun foods.

You know what? It's going to be a gorgeous Easter Tea and I am going to be thrilled to celebrate the reason for it--Christ's resurrection, with a much more accepting and relaxed heart. I didn't have to do it the way I've always done it. Sometimes it's worth finding a new way in order to put important things in order.

I'd say that was a good choice :-)

Happy Easter!
Angie

1 comment:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That is a fine tradition from Bouchardt Gardens! (Such a beautiful place!)

Since I am now a vegan, there's no eggs or chocolate, but I always like basic spring picnic items - potato salad, baked beans, etc. - all homemade.

Have a Blessed Easter, Angie!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net