Tuesday, January 08, 2008

All Things Do Work Together For Good



Okay, so there's that verse in the Bible that says to consider it all joy when you experience trials. Today, I feel like this awful cold is a trial. All I wanted was to sleep. Working at home, that's not as easy as you'd think. I have a secretary, people in and out all day with deliveries, and workmen fixing our basement. (We're extending heat into an unheated area.)

But you know what? Good things came anyway. I had an awesome business phone call that wouldn't have happened if I'd just stayed in bed. Then my son and his new wife came home from their honeymoon and shared the photos and laughter! But that's not all, in the midst of physically feeling miserable, I felt so fulfilled.

Tonight my step-daughter asked me to help her with a school project that included discovering something she could teach to elementary kids about the Bible. I almost forgot I was sick since we had such an interesting and good time together. That is until she thanked me for helping her when I was so sick!

I was so surprised and grateful. I told her that was exactly what Romans 8:28 meant to me. "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to his purpose." In my illness, she found grace and giving. In her acceptance and compassion, I found deep joy.

Then we hit on the verse she had to explain to the little kids. The one about considering it joy that we experience trials...

Oh yes, I am joyfully sniffling today:-D

Angie
PS Please visit my group blog at writingbyfaith.blogspot.com I post there every Wednesday too!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Angie,
Feel better soon! Isn't God wonderful to send us little "love notes" when we're not feeling our best?

You are such an encouragement to me!

Kim