Friday, January 11, 2008

Did You Ever Think Sour Cream Would Be Hard To Find?



That's what my daughter found out today over in Thailand. She's trying to make stroganoff for her host family. I just had a panic email asking what to substitute. So in case you ever wondered what you could substitute for sour cream, it's plain yogurt. Now if she can't find that, we're in trouble.

So I had a brainstorm. I don't know if it will work at all, but why not try buttermilk? It's slightly tangy. You'd have to keep taste testing to see if you were coming close. And of course, you'd have to be able to get either yogurt or buttermilk. sigh. It's hard to know from halfway around the world.

What common thing did you expect and were surprised you couldn't get?

Isn't life interesting? I hope to have the chance to go to Thailand and visit my daughter over there. I'd love to meet the lovely people who have cared for her for me through the school year. So many wonderful things they've done for her. Knowing she celebrated Christmas even when they don't, many of her Rotary friends gave her gifts. How thoughtful!

I really want to say thank you to all those people. Since we are hosting an exchange student too, I understand the commitment. But I also understand how much you can come to love a new member of your family. I'm treasuring the time I have with our Japanese son because he will be gone way too soon.

If you ever have a chance to host an exchange student, be sure to do it. It's an amazing and eye-opening experience. We totally look at our culture through new eyes. And, it's also incredible how much we have in common.

Angie

2 comments:

Kim said...

Angie,
I enjoy reading about your exchange student experience. Our family never hosted, but I made the greatest friend during my freshman year who was an exchange student from Germany. Oh, the memories I have! She spent a lot of time in our home that year, and came back for a visit years later, and we wrote each other for years too.

I'm sorry I lost contact with her, but it sure provided a lot of terrific memories!!

I hope you get to go to Thailand!

Kim

Lydia said...

Angie,

I enjoyed reading your post about your Sunday dinner over at Writer's
Rest. And I can sympathize with your daughter missing ingredients in Thailand. My son moved to China over a year ago, and he also found it difficult to get most dairy products. He had to hunt high & low for butter. When his Chinese fiancee visited us this summer, she fell in love with cheese. She asked me if it came in cans, so that she could take some back with her! Funny thing is they do have Pizza Huts in China.