Wednesday, December 12, 2007

When you do the right thing and no one listens



Sometimes no matter what you do, it takes more than one person to do the right thing.

Today I was stunned speechless! I watched a young woman with blue jeans, a blue top, and a white parka stuff kitchen rugs into the sleeves of the coat. She was shameless!

I went and immediately reported her. Why? As a business owner, I know the cost of theft. As a consumer, I pay for the cost of theft in higher prices, and as a Christian, I believe it is my responsibility to do the right thing as a gift to God and the other people on this planet.

So what happened?

The clerk called the manager. I was glad that they would be able to stop her.

But that's NOT what happened.

The manager watched her walk out of the store with the sleeves of her coat obviously bulging. He didn't try to stop her at all.

I said, "That's her."

He walked past me without looking at me or responding.

I asked the clerk, "What happened? Why didn't he stop her?"

She told me that they could be sued. Sued? For what? According to their company training, if they didn't see it themselves, then the store personnel could not stop the shoplifter.

There I stood, speechless.

You know what bugs me the most? That as Mrs. Missoula, I want to promote my city. I want the businesses in my state to succeed and thrive. It's the selfishness of people like that who cost our economy.

I am saddened that the young woman felt no shame. She knew it was wrong or she wouldn't have stuffed her sleeves. I wish people like that had a bigger view of the world. A view that could open up and see the harm they cause. sigh. I wish I had done more, but as old as I am...dishonesty and selfishness still blow my mind. I don't understand that.

I don't want to understand that mindset. Would I have felt differently if I knew she was starving? I'd like to think I'd have bought food for her. But somehow I don't think people are desperate for kitchen mats. I thought I did the right thing by reporting it. I know I did. But I sure felt the fizzle!

How about you? What would you do?

Angie

3 comments:

Lindi said...

That is crazy, Angie. You'd think they had cameras they could have looked at while she was still in the store.
I don't know about this world. There is so much shamlesness going on...people seem to be immune to what is right and wrong.
Thanks for doing what you could.
Like you said, if it was food you would have bought her some. I did that one time. Iwas in the grocery and there were these young ladies...late teens early twenties, they had a little boy and they had a certain amount of money to spend and it wasn't a lot. You know how you pass someone on one aisle, then you pass them again, well, everytime i passed them they were discussing what would last the longest, be best for the child to eat and so on. I shopped for meat, cheese, bread, stuff to make sandwhices and a couple of other things. I thought God if you want me to get these to this little family you'll work it out. Sure enough they were in the check out line next to mine. I had the boy bag the food and take it to them anonymously...they didn't know it was from me. They were so excited.
God is so good. That food didn't cost me hardly anything, but it brought great joy to them.
Sorry, your post brought this up and I had forgotten about it. I think it's our natural instinct to do the "right" thing when we know what God has done for us.
I'll stop now.

Kim said...

Angie,
You did the right thing. However, I am shocked at what the manager did NOT do! I would have been sorely tempted to dog that person's step and demand an explanation for their lack of action and concern. I suppose that wouldn't have made any more sense, but it might have made me understand things better.

Either way, you would think the store would care more about their patrons. Go figure. You'll make a great Mrs. Montana with that kind of caring attitude!!

Kim

AngBreidenbach said...

Thanks ladies. I'm so glad to have heard your feelings on it.

Angie