Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Curious

Lately, I've been living at full speed ahead. I'm trying to help my husband build his dreams, my kids build theirs, and if there's time...

For me, I love to write and speak. I mean I really love it. I love pouring into others something of value to make a difference. My problem is that there are so many demands on my time on a daily basis.

So I have a question for you.

How do you balance everyone else's dreams and needs with yours? How do you build into your life the time to continually work toward your own goals?

Now remember, I'm not talking about pipe dreams here. I'm talking about the dream God laid in your heart when he knit you together in your mother's womb.

What were you made for and to do? And then how do you balance that with your family/work needs?

(I'm really asking here, so please comment:-D )

I hope to hear from you today. I would appreciate some thoughtful advice. It's also nice to be able to share what I think is a common concern of married women and mothers.

Thanks for whatever you are willing to share here,
Angie

3 comments:

Lindi said...

Ang,
Thanks for this post. I'm trying to figure it out, also.
I have a full time job, am involved in my church, have 2 children in college and 2 step children that are married and have their own lives.
I have a husband and a life.
I probably have some wasted time. And I hate that. But sometimes the brain just doesn't want to think--create.
I have tried to set schedules, write in the morning from 6 till whenver...revise at night. Write at night, revise in the morning.
Right now Im not on any schedule and I'm not getting a lot done.
Jennifer Taylor seems to have a schedule that she sticks to...but with me, something always comes up.
Also, I have something going on almsot every night of the week..bowling one night, church one night, covenant group one night....
so dinner is a struggle, also.
I'm anxious to hear others thoughts and ideas on this.
I think if I organized my time better and actually stuck to it, I could accomplish more.
But then sometimes I feel bad about taking my laptop and ditching my hubby to write...
I don't know.

Lindi said...

Oh, and I forgot the part about what I am supposed to do. That's probably because I"m struggling to figure that out right now.
I feel like I'm called to write. And like Angie I do like to speak. But balancing all this unpaid work with paid work...it's like having two careers, one I make money at and one I spend money for.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie

I think we're all trying to balance this one. I happen to be in a good spot right now, and feel very blessed to be here. In the way of "advice" I thought I would share a quote from Parker J. Palmer, a Quaker teacher whose writing I love. He says this:

“Self care is never a selfish act – it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others. Anytime we can listen to true self, and give it the care it requires, we do so not only for ourselves, but for the many others whose lives we touch.”

It's just a reminder that you, too, deserve to take care of yourself and nurture your own dreams. Now, as to where to get the time to DO that.... I wish I had an easy answer.

Enjoy your blog.

Liz Hill