Monday, August 27, 2007

A Word from a Distant Child



Here she is, my lovely daughter in her school uniform half way across the world. She looks terrific to me. I miss her so much! I'm proud of her even though this is such a tough thing to do.

She has made some lovely new friends. She's been in Thailand for about a month now. It's at the point where she's still working through the language barrier. She'll do it, but it isn't an easy task.

The choice to step out on an adventure of this magnitude takes a lot of courage. She's heartbroken that she'll be missing her brother's wedding. It's just one of the things that happen when you change your life for an entire year. I have no doubt she will never regret this choice even though right now she is very sick. The change in environment, foods, bacterias unique to different areas of the world all create the perfect opportunity for vulnerability. I'm praying for her health. I'm also very thankful that her host family sent her to the doctor.

My daughter has now experienced Puerto Rican and Thai medical systems. Can you imagine how different that is from our own?

I believe she will be well soon. I think her body has to detox from the American foods she's used to and recustomize to the diet she's now on. (Although she is asking for beef jerky, lol.)

You'll make it, Honey. Hang in there. I know you can do it:-)

You'll feel back to normal soon and we'll see this awesome growth through your experience. I believe in you:-)

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved the opportunity she's having. I pray she's getting well.

Jenn