Monday, July 30, 2007

Making Space for your passion

How do we make room in our lives for exploring our passions?

I'm passionate about learning the craft of writing. I've had a terrible time figuring out how to fit everything into my life and the space in my life. I absolutely LOVE ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers.) This group discusses online everything from craft issues to how to market and how to be good to your body while you write. A most recent discussion loop introduced me to the idea of using an excercise ball instead of an office chair.



I ended up going to Walmart and purchased a 65 cm blue excercise ball for $16. Why blue? It had to match:-) I have a long way to go toward the office of my dreams. Just take a look at Tamara Alexander's office, sheesh! But in the meantime, I have a private place to write. I bought the miniature laptop desk for $59.99 at Staples, the travel mouse for $8 at Big Lots, and the keyboard is one I've used on a different computer that osmosis claimed for our heating business. (Hubby hates the ergonomic keyboard so that freed it up for me to use. Yay!) In order to use this keyboard, I went back to Staples and bought an adaptor for $24.98. The office chair I use off and on was inherited from my grandma. So you can put a professional, comfortable office together for around $100. (The gray chair with the pillow belongs to my office assistant.)

Prior to this set up, I wrote anywhere I could in the house from the kitchen table to the couch to my own bedroom. I really like this arrangement the best so far. It is not only more comfortable, but I have this great view to inspire me.




Meet one of my devoted office assistants, Rosie. She's with me 90% of the time. I do have a few other assistants, but she's my mainstay:-)


Every time I leave my writing studio, Rosie dives in and takes over. She must have a writing dream of her own...(the blue prayer shawl on the back was a gift from the ladies at my church after my mom died. I keep it there so I can go into prayer as I need to while writing or doing devotions.)


Don't let Rosie fool you, this is such a peaceful pose only because she couldn't stay in my chair, lol. We have a yo-yo relationship with my chair. I get up, she jumps in-every time! I feel so loved, lol.


I wanted to encourage you to realize that dreams come true and passions blossom into reality only when you focus on them. Make room in your life for what God put inside of you. It doesn't have to cost a ton. It only needs a little space whether it's writing or some other amazing dream you hold deep in your heart. Find time, find room, find a way. My little desk and "chair" are totally my favorite things right now.

What do you need to do to spur yourself onto achieving your dreams?

Angie
PS Starting tomorrow, I'm going to do a small series on Synchronized Swimming. Stay tuned to find out why this is such a great sport and excercise program for any age!

No comments: