Monday, January 08, 2007

So what's a spokesmodel and what do tattoos have to do with it?

I get quite a few questions about this when people find out I'm a spokesmodel. And the next one is...how did you become a spokesmodel? Actually, it's pretty simple.

A spokesmodel is a living commercial. I have promos (bookings) that I do at different stores. The training is a little deeper than the run of the mill demo you might be familiar with at Costco.

I meet new folks, show them a product such as Olay, Suave, or Axe and then ask them to try it. In the meantime, I've learned quite a bit of detail and can answer more indepth questions about the science behind it or how the product works.

I usually spend a six hour booking greeting and teaching potential new consumers the benefits of the focus item. Then, I turn in a report online or by phone about the promotion. Any special things that happened and comments that I think might help the marketing.

For instance, Olay Definity is a wonderful foam lotion for women. It helps lessen the effects of aging through diminishing fine lines, wrinkles, and skin discoloration. But I found a secondary market! You guessed it...men with aging tattoos, LOL! The non-descript tattoo suddenly pops with color and I've sold two bottles. One to him and one to her:-) However, some men are a little shy. So they make sure their wife picks up a bottle he can share. (By the way, this is a true story!!!)

Ultimately, there is something I discover throughout the day that tells me the "magic" that sells the product. I determine it and refine it through trial and error. Then, I tell the manufacturer what worked best for me in my market.

How about I tell you how I became a spokesmodel in the next post...And no, I don't have any tattoos:-)

Angie

2 comments:

Mindy Obenhaus said...

Too funny! I shared your valuable information with my daughter who is up to 8 tatoos. Maybe in 10-20 years she can appreciate it.
Mindy

AngBreidenbach said...

Thanks Mindy:-) Trust me, if you saw those reactions...even I was impressed by the product! And I believed in the Olay Definity before that.
Angie