Sunday, November 12, 2006

So why the broken vessel thing?

The title. Why would she pick that? What does she mean?

For a long time I felt like I couldn't really be of use to the Lord or to anyone else because I wasn't worthy. I wasn't worthy because of all the mistakes I'd made in my life. When reading the Bible, it suddenly dawned on me that the Lord didn't tend to work through perfect people. I was stunned to discover people like Moses (afraid to speak), David (stealing a wife through adultery and murder), Peter (denied the Lord 3 times), Sarah (takes things into her own hands and caused enmity between nations), Paul (let's just say a lot of folks died because of this guy before he met Jesus), and so many more. I'd always thought of them as "the perfect saints."

If all these people from the Bible actually made a difference in the world for the Lord because he determined it to be that way, then why was I placing so much importance on myself that I could not be used by the Lord. Basically, I was saying that my will was bigger and more important than the Lord's will. Like I somehow could hold myself apart and knew better than God. His plan was less important than my feelings about it. This, I realized, was quite egotistical and presumptive. It was like saying, "Um, 'scuse me God, but I know better than you. This idea just ain't gonna hatch. Thanks anyway."

As I learned more about the people in the Bible, a deeper concept emerged. God's plan used these people because of what they learned in their brokenness. Their ability to achieve the work created for them came out of a recognition of their errors. Paul became intense in his pursuit of drawing others to the Lord. David changed the way he lived and repented, then he fathered Solomon. David's example brought his nation an example to follow for centuries. Sarah gave birth to a nation. Moses led God's people to freedom.

I soon started looking at the people of the Bible in a completely different light. Instead of being way above me in their righteousness, I am working along side them in my own brokenness. Partners across centuries in making a difference in the world for the Lord. They went before me so that I could learn from their mistakes, not so that I could worship how beyond perfect they were. I bet they felt more like me than I ever gave them credit for.

Who do you relate to from the Old or New Testament that isn't perfect? How could God use your weakness to his glory? Do you ever wonder if you are good enough?

Angie

7 comments:

Lindi said...

Hi Angie,

I made it to your blog. It's great.
What a thinker question you've posed. Right now I"m pretty tired and can't committ to the person I"m identifying wtih. I've spent two days in lay missionary training trying to determine where I need to be serving, who I need to be serving and why.
So I"m going to think on your question and I"ll be back tomorrow.

Lindi said...

Hi Angie,
I've made my way to your blog. I love it. You've posed a very interesting question.
Right now, I"m tired and have been at missionary training for two days trying to figure out who, what and where and how I can do God's work to my best ability.
I"ll be back tomorrow after thinking on the question.
See you then.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm baaaaack! Still not sure who I"m best feeling like at the moment. Probably a combination of people....Moses--unworthy. David--wanting so bad to have a heart like God. Joshua-not sure of his strength.
But like Lise said...We are forgiven. Praise God!!

AngBreidenbach said...

Hey Lindi,
I'll bet Moses felt like a combination person also. He was a Hebrew slave and an Egyptian Prince. Go figure-he must have been so confused.
I feel like I best relate to the Woman at the Well. She was independent enough to keep making her own mistakes and dependent enough to think she always needed somebody around.
Thanks Lindi and Lise for sharing time with me.
Angie

Mindy Obenhaus said...

Do I ever wonder if I'm good enough? Pft! Like every other second. I would have to say I can relate to David. Striving to be what God wants, yet so many times self gets in the way. When I look at the multitude of, what we would consider, grevious sins he commited, and yet God called him "a man after God's own heart." It reminds me that no matter how badly I have or may still screw up, God can still use me.

Mindy

Collette Thomas said...

Am I good enough? Let's say one thing God does teach us is humbleness. Also, that as we make those plans, he simply giggles knowing that life is a teacher, and we might think we're on a straight path, but it (life) has a way of shoving us off that path. And only if we are focused, determined, persistent, persevere do we eventually get ourselves back on that path. The past four years have shown me this, that yes tragedies shove us off course, but then we will manage to find our way back.

Great blog.
Marie

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

Loved your blog. As for my bible model, I sometimes think I'm a descedant of Doubting Thomas. There is a constant wonder if I'm good enough, if I'm following God's plan or if I took a detour to avoid it. Or possibly God told me what to do and I ignored it and did nothing because I doubted that God would actually talk to me. I'm trying harder to listen, but sometimes I'm not sure I'm hearing right. I've taken to reading my horoscope each day, thinking that maybe this is God's telegraph line to us. At the same time, I don't take what is in the horoscope to heart because I'm not sure. So, at a standstill for now except that I did develop a need to move back to Wyoming. The need is very strong and it leaves me wondering if this is part of God's plan for me. We used to live there years ago. I never wanted to leave, but had a husband who didn't care about my wants or opinions. All water under and of no use lamenting over now. I'm looking forward to more of your blogs. Thank you.

Ginny