Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Everyone else's time

Have you ever felt like everything you do is up to someone else's schedule? That's how I feel sometimes. I have to take care of so many emergencies to help with this or that. Sometimes I wonder how I got myself into a few of these things. Lately, I've been really trying hard to reconfigure my life (daily and long term) in order to move into living my dream of being a full time author and speaker. I have been successful in some ways. Certain days of the week I don't go into town any more. Wow! That was a huge change for me. I live in the mountains, about 15 minutes, outside of my small city. My kids (high school through college age) have activities, performances, etc. that I enjoy attending. Volunteer time is also very important to me. It took me most of the last six months to get things lined up so that I don't go into town now on M/W/F unless it is unusual. This excites me!! Then there are the things you can't avoid no matter what. So, I've tried really hard to make those appts on my "town" days. For the most part, that's been successful too. What I haven't been able to change are the work demands that seem to pop up unexpectedly. Some of what I'll talk about here will be how to deal with schedules, family life, choices, and the inevitable "have to" situations. Here's the question to ponder: What things do you do that could be switched around in your schedule in order to free up a day and allow you to focus on your dreams? If you think about it in advance, what could you move on a regular basis (or even delete) to a different day if you can't free up an entire day? Think taking the first step and standing there to make sure it is safe. The ground won't shake, you won't fall down, and the hail won't bash you on the head. You just took your first step to making your life more of what you dream it to be. Let me know:-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - this post really spoke to me. I have also been "rearranging" my life so that I can concentrate on what is the most important to me. I have bowed out of some activities that while I enjoy them, I would rather spend that time doing something else.

God Bless,
Connie (Blogging Class)

Marilyn Puett said...

Someone told me years ago that for my children's sake I should learn to say no -- not only to them but to others. Overscheduling your life not only burns you out but it sends the message to your family that they can't say no either.

Way to go with your reconfiguration!

Marilyn (from blogging class)