Monday, February 27, 2012

Slumdog Millionaire

Over the weekend, my husband and I watched the very moving Slumdog Millionaire. Well done, well acted. But what struck me most is how different countries are in how they treat their people. How children roam trash heaps hoping for a scrap. It hurts to watch adults take advantage of small children. I'm humbled by the millions of children around the world that battle for survival with no parent to protect them from exploiters.

I have the blessing of being raised in a real house. Even with a mentally ill mother and the background of divorced parents, my life was no where near as dire as the orphans in India, Viet Nam, Sudan, Kenya, or any number of countries including the abused and forgotten little ones here in the US.

If you haven't watched Slumdog Millionaire or been aware of the children in squalor around the world, take the time to be stunned by both a spectacular movie and by the scenes of reality.

I'm involved with Hope's Promise Orphan Ministry. That's one of many programs reaching out to help the poor, orphaned, and lost children in the world. What programs do you know about or support that help the children around the world?

Angie

No comments: