Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Are you intentional?

How was your day?

Some days seem to be filled with productivity and others, well, they kind of get away from me. Yesterday was one of those. No matter how hard I tried, I felt like the day was slipping into the sea of lost causes.

Frustrated, I reworked my to-do list and tried again. But to no avail. At the end of the day I realized part of my problem was fatigue. I'd been going and going faster and faster until my day was no longer productive but frenetic.

Today I did much better. Then it started to feel overwhelming again. So you know what I did? I intentionally took the afternoon off. I took from about 2:30 p.m. until well after dinner and just relaxed. The shocker came. Yep, yep, yep. When I pulled out the work I needed to finish, I did the same amount in less time.

As I look back over the last few weeks, I can see the pattern. Every time I pushed too hard, my productivity went down. Now I'm refocused. Not on all that has to be done. That's on the list. I'm refocused on taking intentional time off to revitalize and refresh.

Will you take intentional time off? What would that look like? How can you plan for it?

Angie

3 comments:

Debbie Button said...

I enjoyed your message. I listened to a taped series by Joyce Meyer a while back, titled "Busyness or Fruitfulness" which talked about the same thing. I have determined to be fruitful, which requires intentional choices.

I just started a blog 2 days ago. Visit if you have a chance -- debbiebutton.wordpress.com

AngBreidenbach said...

Hi Debbie,
I think you're right on track. I notice the days I get really frenetic are those I am dealing with busyness.

Thank you, I will visit your blog :-)
Angie

C.L. Dyck said...

Been very busy lately, and I at least need to shift gears. Switching from computer-oriented tasks to yardwork is one of my favourite ways to get a time-out. I used to schedule Sunday afternoons as my time to curl up and read a book, but the more I work with writing, the less that becomes a break...so I see a need to be intentional about adapting as the flow of life changes.