Thursday, December 30, 2010

Preparing for a New Year

Spring cleaning at the end of the year?

I'm doing that with both my house and my email accounts. One is being handed over to the next publicity officer for ACFW. I don't want either one of us to start the new year with a bunch of clutter.

At home I've finished my kitchen and the next room is my office. Scary! Seriously, I am working on cleaning it in order to have a clear head. With 2 big projects starting in January, I don't want all the old stuff stopping me.

Stuff. It just gets in the way of goals and dreams.

I work organically. My brain is on high speed almost every day of my life. So it's easy for me to pile things instead of file things. Every few months I need to file my piles. Then I have a sense of clarity and accomplishment. Nothing is pulling me in different directions. But the organic nature of my high speed brain will not let me stop and manage the stuff of each project while I'm in it. Somehow it stalls me. I've learned to honor that part of me too by cleaning up after each project instead. It also offers me closure on the project, both mental and physical. I think that's as important as feeling prepared and organized for the future, saying goodbye to the old allows space for the new.

I plan on getting the office cleaned up and then spending time (a few hours to a few days) determining my achieved goals from last year and setting the new ones for this year. I have a 5 step plan for annual goals, how to make New Year resolutions actually happen. So I'm going to sit down and follow my own advice.

 I'll post a photo of the cleaned desk just to be accountable :-) Hmm, I wonder when? By next week for sure...

Do you do anything to prepare for new goals?

Angie

1 comment:

Audra Marie said...

I just reorganized my office a bit to get ready for a new year. :) Now to set my goals, and do some other things to get ready. :)