I am really enjoying Hatteras Girl. About 18 years ago my family took a wonderful week at the outerbanks of North Carolina. Finding a book that let's me re-experience that time on the beach is pure fun! This locale is unique, quirky, and peaceful--well it's supposed to be peaceful. Then comes along Jackie and her dream to own a bed and breakfast. A seemingly perfect dream in a perfect place. But it all takes the most imperfect detour so not in Jackie's plans to help her find the substance of her dream. A delightful book. I'm thrilled with the recipes at the back too. Having just published Creative Cooking for Simple Elegance, I could see these recipes would fit right into my kitchen. Alice Wisler met me as a reader on so many levels--fun, old memories, food, friends, and how to get to a dream even though it feels like an ocean away. Loved the romp on the beach and the depth of life in Hatteras Girl.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Facts about Alice
* Born in Osaka, Japan and lived in Japan for 18 years
* Went to Kyoto International School and Canadian Academy
* Majored in Social Work and graduated in 1983 from Eastern Mennonite University
* Worked at a group home for disadvantaged kids outside of Philadelphia
* Taught English and Culture Orientation at a refugee camp in the Philippines
* Taught English as a Second Language in Japan
* Speaks and teaches on Writing the Heartache
* Has three kids on earth, and one in Heaven
* Recently got married to Carl on 2/7/09
ABOUT THE BOOK
There's one specific property Jackie dreams of purchasing: the Bailey Place, a fabulous old home where Jackie spent many happy childhood afternoons, a place that has now fallen into disrepair because of its outrageous price tag.
When Jackie meets handsome Davis Erickson, who holds the key to the Bailey Place, Jackie is sure God has answered both her prayers. But as Jackie learns some disturbing details about Davis's past, she begins to question her own motivation. Will she risk her long-held dreams to find out the truth?
If you would like to read the first chapter of Hatteras Girl, go HERE.