Thursday, October 08, 2009

Joining Good Causes


At one of the many Jadyn Fred Foundation fundraisers. My husband and I support this organization regularly with our time, talents, and when possible our funds too. We believe parents and children need to be able to afford to not only get to medical treatments but also have a parent with them. The enormous costs not covered by insurance often drive parents to extremes. We have heard of parents that have to choose between staying with a child in the hospital or losing the job that helps pay for the medical care. The Jadyn Fred Foundation helps families pay for expenses not covered by insurance.

For Mike and I, that means a mommy and daddy don't have to sleep in the car because they can't pay for a motel or leave a baby behind and go to work, or even choose between groceries and medicine. We have been called to be a part of this ministry. As long as we understand the call to continue, we will spend our time supporting this cause.

But what about ALL those other causes? Aren't they good? Don't we need to support good causes?

A relevant topic for people in this world. As a writer/speaker who needs to be continuously creating a platform, I'm on a lot of social networks and places I can be genuine while getting my name and work out in the big wide world.

But this brings up a subject that is a bit scary for everyone. That's the issue of all the causes in the world. For one person, they are overwhelming. Too much.

As the publicity officer for American Christian Fiction Writers, I get tons of causes sent to me. I have to choose what is right for this position that I do for ACFW. It's being aware of the opportunity to share ACFW, not support every other cause on earth. I have a specific job and function. That goes for being a woman who is a wife, mother, grandmother, business owner, and in ministry. I have specific duties in my life and a way of life to maintain that is balanced and healthy for me and my family.

So I'd like to suggest that God placed you all in your position as well. If the cause, network, or other situation is one that allows you to be genuinely who you are, do what you do, and you feel called by the Lord to join--then do.

But just because a cause, invitation, group, social network, or other opportunity is good-even great, doesn't mean it is your calling or responsibility to be a part of it.

Think about the uniqueness God created in you. Honor that uniqueness as a writer and/or individual living out God's plan for your life. You don't have to be in or support every cause out there. God created someone to be called to it already. You just have to be obedient to be in and support the cause God made you for.

Be uniquely you, write or work uniquely from your perspective, and join those things God lays on your heart only.

Come visit me at www.MyGemofWisdom.com and see the causes I support and believe in.

Post a comment and please share the causes that burn in your heart with me.

No comments: