Saturday, October 17, 2009

Amethyst-The self care reminder


I took most of today off. For those that know me, I probably blew off a few socks, lol.

I've worked way too many days straight including editing in the car on our 8 hour drive to, and again from, Seattle for business meetings.

I shut down my computer about 1 a.m. --2 hours outside of Missoula-- and didn't open it up again until almost 9 p.m. tonight.

Yes, there is work waiting. Editing, a few articles due, business discussions on email. But mental and emotional exhaustion took their toll. It was time for a break.

I felt a bit guilty. Then I remembered writing the chapter on self-care in Battle Your Pirates and Win! Here I was teaching people to take care of themselves and I hadn't been doing it!

So I stopped feeling guilty and decided to be honest. I needed a break. In fact, I'm only on for a short time tonight because I'm going to do the unheard of...go to bed early!

I hear you gasping, lol. Wait until you hear that I'm staying off the computer most of the day tomorrow too!

Double gasp :-D

I'll be back on late tomorrow night, but I'm going to take that much needed rest away from the computer screen, writing, and all the other computer activities long enough to rest my brain.

What have you done to care for your sense of well-being lately?

Angie
The pendant above is one of the pieces that helps support the Sanctuary of Hope Homes-a Hope's Promise Orphan Ministry to Kenyan orphans from the Mathare Slum. You can learn more about this amethyst pendant at www.MyGemofWisdom.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you can not take care of your self you can not be expected to take care of others.

Jan Parrish said...

Great idea and very healthy.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm guilty of the same thing, Angie. I love movies, so sometimes just stopping for a few hours to watch one refreshes me.

Unknown said...

I love how you planted that little reminder of one of the wonderful attributes of amethyst.

My favorite gem, it beholds so many wonderful qualities, and I admit that self-care had slipped through the cracks in my knowledge base, and I appreciate the reminder. It is so important that we take care of ourselves.

Taking a little time out is not only physically and mentally healthy, but spiritually as well. Good for you for listening to that inner voice and doing what you need to do for you!

AngBreidenbach said...

I am glad I took that time off, but now realize that I have to set some parameters in moving through my daily life. Great lesson to come back to on Monday.

Thanks everyone. I loved your thoughts and comments.
:-)
Angie