Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Please welcome Lyn Cote-guest today and author of Her Inheritance Forever!


Her Inheritance Forever
by Lyn Cote

Summary:
In 1836 Texas, Alandra Sandoval is determined to run her rancho
without a man. Scully Falconer is top hand on a neighboring spread.
The Tejano lady and the American cowboy are on separate paths---until
greedy relatives, a troubled past, and the tides of history bring them
together. Events beyond their control such as the slaughter at the
Alamo will take them far from home into the heart of the Texas
Revolution. Will their lives change forever?

To purchase http://www.booksbylyncote.com/

TEN QUESTIONS For Lynn:

1. What inspired you to write the book? I had never done much research into early Texas history. I read about Stephen Austin’s deal with the last Spanish governor of Texas and was intrigued by the three demands made of the Anglos entering Texas: No slaves, Convert to Roman Catholicism, and swear allegiance to Spain. I was intrigued because in my experience of Americans of that period were unlikely to follow any of those! And that means conflict and every good story thrives on conflict.


2. Name the two people—living or dead—you would most like to invite to dinner at your house. What would you discuss? C S Lewis and Charles Dickens. Both of these English writers had tremendous influence on their times and their writing after their deaths. C S Lewis revolutionized the way I thought about God. And I think Charles Dickens and I share the same passion for social justice.


3. Of the seven deadly sins (pride, envy, gluttony, lust, anger, greed, and sloth) which one is the hardest for you to resist? Now it’s not very nice of you to ask me that. GRIN But I cannot turn down a good pie of homemade pie. So there you have it. Oh, and it must be ala mode!

4. If you could live in another time and place, where and when would that be? I don’t ever want to live before indoor plumbing and running hot and cold water, so that rather limits me. I could drop in and have a chat with Elizabeth I who I think was an amazing woman, but just for tea. Then I’ll be back in my heated home sipping safe water I didn’t have to draw from a well. Thank you very much.

5. Who is your oldest friend? Books are my oldest friend. The first book I loved was Lois Lenski’s Cotton in My Sack, the story of a migrant family.

6. What are you reading right now? I’m reading a joke book my son got me for Christmas, a For Better or Worse title. I loved that family.

7. What is your favorite book of all time? The Gospel of John. Can you imagine being best friends with Jesus? I love the way John’s words exude love and wisdom. I guess you can judge a man by the company he keeps.

8. What do you consider to be your first piece of writing? In 5th grade, we were assigned to write an autobiography. My teacher was excited to see that he’d finally found out what I could do well. That’s when I decided to be a writer.

9. What were some of the challenges or surprises in writing this book? When I research for a book, I do just enough research to set up the story plot so that it reflects genuine history. Then I start writing. As I go along, I make note of facts (names of places, dates, etc) that I need to check. The thing that threw me most was how fast the history of Texas changed over the course of the 3 books in this series. The constant flux in government especially impacted names of towns. Santa Roseta began Hidalgo for example. I was kept busy finding how what had changed on the map of Texas from 1821 on.

10. What do you find most rewarding about being an author? Reader letters are the reward. It’s such a boost to hear how a book of mine gave pleasure or impacted someone’s life in a real way. It makes all the long hours in front of the laptop screen worthwhile!

Author Bio:

Lyn and her husband her real life hero are becoming in-laws as their son marries his true love in fall 2009. Lyn loves her future daughter in law and is looking forward to this new adventure. She and her husband still live on the lake in the northwoods where they watch a bald eagle and its younger eagle soar and swoop overhead throughout the year. And she wishes the best to all her readers. You may email Lyn at l.cote@juno.com or write her at P O Box 864, Woodruff WI 54548. And drop by her blog www.strongwomenbravestories.blogspot.com and read stories of strong women in real life and true to life fiction. "Every woman has a story. Share yours."

http://www.strongwomenbravestories.blogspot.com
Every woman has a story! Share yours.

3 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

She knew little of Texas history? Sounds like Book I of my series and the fact I knew nothing about Olympic swimming!

And I agree - indoor plumbing is a must!

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Lyn Cote said...

Glad you agree about indoor plumbing! It's essential for my happiness! I have used outhouses and did not enjoy the experience. And I've bathed in lakes more than once. A chilling experience! LOL

Creative Chronicler said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Great questions for the author.

Chris C
http://cc-chronicles.blogspot.com
http://morninggod.blogspot.com