Saturday, February 28, 2009

Does trouble have meaning in our lives?

One of the things that bothers a lot of people is that pain doesn't seem to have meaning. I beg to differ. I've been working toward starting my life coaching business for exactly this purpose: to reveal the meaning in our lives through our difficulties. I love the verses below that support this concept.

2 Corinthians 1: 3-7 (New Century Version)
3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is the Father who is full of mercy and all comfort. 4 He comforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can comfort them with the same comfort God gives us. 5 We share in the many sufferings of Christ. In the same way, much comfort comes to us through Christ. 6 If we have troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation, and if we have comfort, you also have comfort. This helps you to accept patiently the same sufferings we have. 7 Our hope for you is strong, knowing that you share in our sufferings and also in the comfort we receive.


Understanding how other people feel is called empathy. Walking with them through their pain is called compassion. When we can reach out a hand and help them step over some of the rocks on the path because we've walked that path before, that's called sharing comfort.

I'm going to be moving into a new path for my life. I'm excited but very, very peaceful about the decision. It's been coming for several years now. I can look back and see the steps that brought me to this place. I can see where the hardships I've experienced were given to me as a blessing now in order to stand at this crossroad to make this decision. Sometimes hindsight isn't just 20/20. Sometimes it gives us a clarification of our purpose.

I'm going to base the next phase of my life on the verses above as I begin my life coaching certification and open up my practice next fall. I feel like everything has been building to this place, this time, this dream all along. Now I look back and can see 20/20. And I'm grateful.

Angie

1 comment:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Pain strengthens us! We go through small struggles so that we might handle the big ones. God reminds us that with Him, we CAN handle anything, and asks that we remain humble during the process.

Go boldly down the new path, Angie!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net