Saturday, October 25, 2008

One Holy Night by J.M. Hochstetler




You know, I like this book. I like that the author has taken me into a story that includes Viet Nam, feelings of an old WWII vet, family issues and intermarriage. She adds the flavor of the time and the problems of family life in a very nice blend by mentioning songs like Moon River in the background while concentrating on the relationships in the story.

How complicated it is for someone who has served in battle, lost so much, and has such distrust left over causing chains of prejudice. Mike's dad, Frank, didn't leave that battle on the field, no man who has been to war can, but continues to battle his way back home every day.

I love that the author can take a historical snapshot and deal with things that we all still face everyday. War doesn't go away, feelings don't snap into a disciplined order and family isn't perfect. But J.M. Hochstetler portrays a gentle and good love through human emotion persevering to overcome the circumstances that mold us.

This is a very good Christmas tale for our country right now. One that helps us understand a little bit more of the need for forgiveness before it is too late. Touching.

Learn more about One Holy Night at J.M. Hochstetler's website.

Angie

1 comment:

J. M. Hochstetler said...

Angie,

I'm so glad you enjoyed One Holy Night! The story really gripped me while I was writing it, partly because my father served in WWII and my brother in Vietnam. My hope is that it brings healing to some hurting hearts out there.

Thank you for the beautiful review!

Hugs,
Joan