Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Case of the Bouncing Grandma by A.K. Arenz



This is an interesting experiment for me. I've never really read Cozy Mysteries. This book is exactly that. One thing I'm appreciating is the opportunity to explore my own reading tastes by trying new genres. Of course, having Grandma in the title is a plus for me since I am due to be a grandma any day now...any day...any...shoot, where's that little bundle of joy???

How fun to try new writers...

One of the things that draws me into this story is the cute, zippy dialogue. Even though the attraction is natural, I love the way the author brings in comparison's to help me imagine the detective and doctor in the story. Honestly, who wouldn't be intrigued by a man who is a mix of Frank Sinatra's Blue Eyes and Harrison Ford's adventurous look. Seriously! I keep turning the pages to meet up with Blue Eyes again, lol.

Nice job, A.K. Arenz!

To my blog readers, I plan to post a photo of the book cover as soon as I get one.

By the way, this is published by a brand new publishing house. Sheaf House opened this year!

Here's a little teaser from the back of the book, The Case of the Bouncing Grandma...

Has Glory hit her head one too many times...or is there really a foot dangling out of that carpet?


Reduced to watching new neighbors move in as a form of amusement, Glory Harper is stuck in a wheelchair with a broken leg, bored and itching for excitement. She just doesn't expect it to come in the form of a foot dangling from the end of a carpet as it's carried into her new neighbor's house.

the problem is getting someone to believe her. It's bad enough that her daughter and sister are convinced she imagined the incident. But when the police recognize Glory as the woman whose skateboarding accident resulted in a multi-car pile-up, her believability quotient lowers even more. Just when she thinks she's finally gotten someone to take her seriously, Glory realizes Detective Rick Spencer, a Harrison Ford look-alike, appears more interested in her than in her story.

The more Glory learns about her new neighbors, the more she realizes she's stumbled onto something bigger than just a murder case. But by now she's made enough enemies to put herself and her family in danger. While she's following what seems to be the obvious path to the culprits, the real criminals are closing in.

Enjoy,
Angie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds too cute!

I'm really drawn to dialogue books. It makes me feel like I'm right there with the character.

Thanks for the post!