Monday, October 15, 2007

Mosaic by Amy Grant



I have been given the honor of reviewing Amy Grant's book, Mosaic.

So why should you want to read Mosaic?

For me, I found a connection with Amy on page 52. She speaks openly about doubting God would want to use her when her "life was derailing." Isn't that how we all feel? Don't we all believe the lie that if we aren't perfect then God has no use for us?

This blog, God uses broken vessels, is all about that concept. Life isn't perfect, but we are still loved and valuable to God. He wants to use us to reach out to others. He wants us to give Him our brokenness and let Him make something beautiful out of it.

“Like everybody else, I wish I were in better shape or had planned an upcoming event little more thoroughly. I wish I were neater. I wish I weighed what I weighed when I was in the thirties. But all those things are for another day. This day—at a hundred and forty-five pounds, at forty-six years old, with a few gray hairs and not quite enough sleep—this is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.” p. 144

So thank you Amy. Thank you for being transparent. Thank you for sharing snippets of your life, lyrics from your songs, and your faith. Thank you for being one of those in the forefront. It takes obedience and courage to live in that glass house. Thank you for allowing God to use you in that place.

“This is trust: doing what you believe you are called to do and trusting that God will provide.” p. 12





Summary and Author Bio:

Grammy Award–winning artist Amy Grant has lived in the spotlight since bursting onto the Christian music scene as a teenager thirty years ago. In that time her work, marriage, and spiritual life have been subject to varying degrees of adulation and criticism.

Now, in her first autobiographical book, Grant bares her heart and soul, giving readers an intimate glimpse into her everyday life and the lessons she’s learning along the way. From lighthearted reminiscences of her Tennessee childhood to painfully honest reflections on the journey of faith, her vivid writing draws readers into her world while simultaneously creating space for them to rethink their own perspectives on life.

With honesty and depth, Grant offers poignant and often startling insights on motherhood, marriage, friendship, faith, loss, forgiveness, and redemption. Never-before-shared stories about her husband, country music star Vince Gill, provide a look into her life as a celebrity, while intimate portraits of her mother and musings on the past reveal the various pieces of a life blessed with jagged edges as well as vivid colors. Readers will find their preconceived notions of this music icon stripped away as they settle in for a warmly satisfying conversation with a gracious and wise friend.



Amy Grant is the best-selling Christian music artist of all time and the first to garner the number one spot on Billboard’s chart. Since beginning her career at age 17, she has earned six Grammy Awards and twenty-five Dove Awards, and last year she received her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Grant’s numerous television appearances include Oprah; Good Morning, America; and Late Night with David Letterman. In 2007 she’ll tour nationwide, performing with local symphonies in Atlanta, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and elsewhere.


To purchase a copy of Mosaic, CLICK HERE.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/140007360X

20 comments:

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks for the great post. I've loved Amy Grant and her music since the early 80s.

Please put me in the drawing for the book.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan DiMaria

Suzanne S. Osborn said...

I can't wait to read Mosaic. Having been through divorce myself, I can totally relate to the thought that I'm too damaged for God to use.

Thank you for sharing this with us (ACFW).

Suzanne S. Osborn


". . . God has made me laugh, and all who hear will laugh with me." Gen. 21:6

AngBreidenbach said...

Absolutely ladies, you are in the contest:-)
Angie
PS Thanks for commenting. I forwarded your comments to Amy because they were so nice:-)

Unknown said...

Hi Angie,

I absolutely love Amy Grant. I have seen her in concert twice. Have taken two different people to each concert and they have become instant fans.
I would really love to read this book but my DH has been in and out of the hospital for the past two months and the bills are still coming in. So I will have to wait until it comes out at the library.
Hi from an FHL chapter member.

Betty
bettyjohnson14467@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I would like to enter your drawing please!

Elizabeth
mepeery at yahoo dot com

Lena Nelson Dooley said...

Angie,

I really want to win

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the great review. I heard Amy on our Christian radio station this morning talking about this book. It sounds wonderful. Please put me in the drawing.
Carrie

Maude Lynn said...

I would like to be entered, please!

Linda Warren said...

I love Amy Grant and Vince Gill. And the review was wonderful. I can't wait to read Amy's book.

T. Forkner said...

Don't enter me to win (I have a copy), but I wanted to say it was a great review and it's really an excellent work of Amy's.

Andrea said...

Sounds great...please count me in! :)

Jennifer AlLee said...

Thanks for your review, Angie. Boy, how I can relate to feeling "not good enough"!

Amy Grant is one of my favorite artists, regardless of genre. I've always appreciated how transparent and honest she is, and her music always lifts me.

Please enter me in the drawing... but if I don't win, I'll be buying a copy. I've really been looking forward to this book!

Pattie said...

Please enter me! Thanks!
Pattie from ACFW
(freshbrewedwriter @ gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Angie! Thank you for the opportunity to win a copy of Amy's new book! I love her music and am very interested in reading about her faith journey. Please enter me in the drawing for MOSAIC.

With blessings,
Susan (from FHL!)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Angie, I've had such trouble getting Goggle to accept my username and password to post here that I finally decided to see if "anonymous" would work. But I forgot to leave my contact info!

Susan Alverson
susana[at]infinet[dot]com

Montserrat said...

We love singing along to Amy Grant at our house. I'd love to learn more about her. Please count me in!

My e-mail is on my profile page.

Robbie Iobst said...

Angie,

I am new to your blog - the title "God Uses Broken Vessels" attracted me. Amen! Amy Grant is a REAL woman to me. I listened to her in my teens and was inspired to live in the arms of El Shaddai. I have continued listening to her and watching her career as we have both grown. It is always a joy to watch a journey and see God's love and grace.
I would love to win her book!
Thanks for a new blog to read!

Anonymous said...

Dear Angie, I enjoyed catching up on your blog and would love to win a copy! rose mccauley AKA Gail!

AngBreidenbach said...

Friends,
You are so wonderful to say such nice things! Thank you very much. I am excited about this contest and can't wait to unveil the lucky winner! I'm so glad you all visited today.

Angie

Anonymous said...

I also reviewed this book. Also I went to two book events and have photos on my website. www.inrebasworld.com