Friday, May 25, 2007

First Impressions




My youngest (above with his dog) just applied for his first job at Starbuck's. I'm praying that he will get it. He's so well suited to the little cafe. His customer service skills are excellent, as well as his desire to become a chef:-) I had the jitters for him. He was so calm.

It's amazing to watch the confidence of this young man. Sometimes I wonder where he came from!

The things we did to teach and prepare our kids for job hunting and interviews though are an important part of his confidence.
I sat him down and role-played. I interviewed him and coached him. I think this is crucial for teens.

But, I also taught him to volunteer. If someone doesn't have very many job skills, the best place to learn is in a volunteer setting. My 2 youngest children volunteered for a year in the Missoula Food Bank as part of their homeschooling class requirements. They loved it! The people loved them. I truly believe that the experience of serving others gives a person the ability to want to do a good job.

Tip-To gain job skills, volunteer regularly. You will be taught customer service, computer, stocking, and a myriad of other things based on that opportunity. Volunteer work is an excellent item on your resume'. Find what interests you or go explore to see what triggers an interest. You'll be amazed at how much fun you have while you receive free training that is greatly respected. Be a giver.

As a parent, you will train up your child in the way he should go so that when he is old, he will not depart from it. Train him to be a volunteer throughout his life. You just never know who he may help or how that may shape his career.

Angie

No comments: