Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Why do we need other women?

Why do we need other women?

Friendship.jpg

Best answer? Friendship.

We have such difficulties in our daily lives. As women, we're all about relationships. We need someone to talk it out with, share our feelings, and get advice from in non-threatening ways. And other women need us to do the same for them. But in our techie world, we've often made better friends of our TVs than with real people.

Sometimes our lives are so busy we forget to spend time with those crucial friendships. We find ourselves feeling lost and uncertain. But God intended us to rely on each other to get through all the challenges coming our way. He wants us to remember fellowship.

So what do you do if you've been so busy you've lost track of your friends? What do you do if you've moved or they've moved?

First contact old friends. Find out what's happening in their lives and share updates in yours. Be sure to give them time to share their lives with you. Too much information dump and they'll feel used. Make them feel loved by being a listener and a sharer.

Go to women's book clubs, Bible studies, and ladies teas to meet new potential friends.

Volunteer in projects (short or long term) that really speak to your heart. You'll meet like-minded people.

Take time at church and social events to introduce yourself to people every time you go.
Visit with those people and build relationship. Relationships are built over many, many interactions.

Do the fun things you love even if you have to go alone. It took me a while, but I started going to comedies by myself. There was no reason I shouldn't enjoy a movie and laughing just because I didn't sit with someone I knew. I laughed with the others that had the same interest, laughing. Best empowering choice I ever made because my happiness was no longer dependent on someone else's schedule. I could do what I enjoyed because I enjoyed it. You can too when you lose the idea that someone you know must accompany you. People will already be there that like what you like. It takes practice, but it's worth it.

Allow yourself the grace to put in the effort and get to know the women in your community by being involved. Join clubs, groups, and community projects.

What ideas do you have for building friendships?
Angie

Friendship suggestion: Gems of Wisdom: For a Treasure-filled Life is a book I wrote that causes great discussions in women's groups. Consider using it as a book club or Bible study. You can order it from my website. www.AngelaBreidenbach.com and I'd be happy to Skype or Face Time with your group.

1 comment:

Jan Cline said...

Love this Angie,
It's similar to the Friendship chapter in my current WIP, and you give very good advice. It is a commitment worth sacrificing for.
Blessings, friend.
Jan