Friday, June 03, 2011

What do you do when things go wrong?

Do you have days when the world seems to be spinning backwards? Yep, me too. The last few days my sons have had a spammer hacking into their email accounts. I dutifully let them know. Then I changed my password because it appeared the hacker was systematically going through every email he/she could crack in our family. What a hassle!

But in changing my email password to protect myself, I accidentally locked myself out of accessing it on my blackberry. Now you have to know I have a love/hate relationship with this blackberry anyway. Things that are simple on other devices take an FBI clearance on mine. So for the last 2 days, I've been trying to get the email back on the blackberry. (Luckily I still have access when on computer.)

But even contacting the company causes a time lag and headache. The issue happens when we're busiest, doesn't it? And if we're not, the incessant fixing we have to do every day in our lives seems to wear on us. The daily plan was to work out, eat, get a little writing done before heading to a lunch date with a friend who's moving away. Then this evening is a fun family festival, First Friday, in Hamilton, MT where I'm the featured author with Gems of Wisdom: For a Treasure-filled Life and Creative Cooking for Simple Elegance.

But the day started off much differently. Now on holding pattern on the work out and breakfast, hoping to solve the email dilemma, I'm feeling a little grumpy. I think I'd have been less grumpy if some silly prankster hadn't called my cell 3 times at 2 in the morning. I had to silence it to stop the annoyance.

Had a morning like that?

Here's my thoughts: I'm going forward anyway. The world isn't going to stop spinning. I'm not going to get more sleep. The email issue isn't going to fix itself. The 3 "but" comments above don't change set appointments and goals. Having a flexible attitude is crucial in a backwards spinning world. It lessens the stress and allows us to use creativity to solve our dilemmas. But (and the most positive one of the series of "but" comments) is I'm going to stop first and hand it all over to God. I'm asking Him for a spirit of positive influence and for joy to replace my grumpy mode. Then a little coffee for the tech session might just put me over into a smile.

What do you think? How do you handle a morning gone awry?

No comments: