Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Building Confidence in Following Leadership

"Genuine spiritual leaders seek to empower their followers. Any leader who fosters extreme dependence among their followers is in reality, just someone who wants to control them. A sincere leader welcomes questions and challenges from their followers; anyone who forbids dissent or punishes it is not sincere." (C) Marcia Sirota MD 2010


I followed a link from twitter to a longer explanation of Avoiding the Spiritual Sociopath. Out of that note post on facebook, I found this wonderful quote. Recognition that leaders who cannot accept challenge, questions, forbid dissent, and/or punish disagreement help put motivation into the equation.


It's too easy to follow blindly. Too easy to figure out folly later. Then too hard to get out.


By watching how leaders behave, we can begin to see abuse of power, manipulation, and insecurity. My experience with leaders who demand total control is that they are often the most insecure. They lack confidence and the ability to achieve maximum potential for their businesses, family, and employee productivity.


Sometimes it's hard to recognize. Ask yourself: 
Do I fear my boss, pastor, friend?
Do others?
Am I more productive when this person is around?
Am I less productive and/or indecisive when answering to this person?
How am I treated when I ask a question?
Is my opinion valuable to this person?
Will I achieve the dreams and goals God set in my heart following this person? 


What did you learn from your answers?


Did you notice the description of a sincere leader in the quote? We could also call that a confident leader. A confident leader accepts questions, challenges, and ideas from others especially those in the trenches.


One of my favorite television shows lately is, Undercover Boss. I love to watch what those corporate leaders are learning. In the agreement, these people can't disclose who they are. The struggle to right something happens, but also the recognition of expertise from the people that actually do the hired work in the levels below the CEO's normal day job. I like that these people have been willing to recognize the challenges and be in a place of discovery. I have a lot of respect for their ability to be vulnerable.


Your thoughts?


Angie Breidenbach
http://www.MyGemOfWisdom.com







2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Angie, would you like to come teach my leadership seminar with me? You so nailed it!

AngBreidenbach said...

Yes, Diane, I would :-) When and where?

I've wanted to meet you in person for a long time! I just love the way you think and conduct yourself. I believe you are a strong leader and someone worth learning from because you want to share knowledge and not hoard it.

Many leaders think they have to keep it all to themself. The workload, the secrets, etc. What they find out is that the isolation makes them ineffective.

Thanks!

Angie