Monday, February 08, 2010

When To Say No Confidently

Having trouble saying no? Interruptions getting in the way of achieving a goal or even a regular work schedule?

Welcome to the world of a professional writer and speaker! I'm sure many people can relate if they have a home office, but I'll bet anyone in an office setting has the same problem when a co-worker stops by to ask "just one quick question."

I spent too long today on email answering a ton of questions from varying sources. Some work, some promo, some a sweet friend with a sweet thought. But half way through the day, I began to realize my deadlines were looming and I still had hours of work to do. How many of us end here with only the excuse we were busy? That scares me! I don't want that ending. Do you?


I shut down the email. Had to. I started at 9:30a.m. and it's now 1:30 p.m. and the emails are still coming. 4 hours!!! Okay, enough is enough. It wasn't the people that were sending the emails. Not at all. It was my own sense of discipline over the work schedule. So here I am realizing I need a new set of parameters on managing my work schedule.

I am going to go to God about it. I don't want to offend anyone or miss anything important. So I need Him to determine for me rather than of my own wisdom because everything seems important right now.

I'm also going to set up a disciplined schedule (after the prayer.)

I'm asking myself questions like: Is this a top priority? Is this imperative right now? What's the most important thing that must be done now? (Answer: Do it without delay.) Is this meeting my life goals, purpose, or is it a time challenge that can be handled later? Am I really the only person that can either answer this question or perform the project requested?  Am I stealing someone else's blessing by agreeing to do it?

But I need to hear from you! If you work at home, if you need to protect your actual business or writing hours, if you have ideas that allow for focus time to achieve a goal, then I would love to hear your thoughts on what works.

It's crucial we are able to be intelligently productive. It's crucial we do so with confidence and within the purpose God has specifically assigned to each of us. So send me your ideas on how to meet your production schedule and still handle the volumes of work/promo/family & friends emails. Your answers may be included in the book, Courageous Beauty, on confidence and courage :-)

How do you confidently act with discipline and still handle your email, internet social media sites, or even volunteer requests?

Angie Breidenbach
http://www.MyGemOfWisdom.com

No comments: