Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do you question confidence?





Yesterday I was asked to suggest some questions on the topic of confidence for a Toastmaster meeting that my new friend, Sasha, had on her schedule. I started thinking about what I wanted to know for the book I'm writing and then thought about perceptions people have concerning confidence and courage.

That brought up my curious nature. (I'm sure those who know me are rolling their eyes about now because I happen to be a VERY curious person who will research just because I want to know something and then research what I learned from it.)

So I began to wonder (here's where you jump in, friends) what do people think about confidence and/or courage?

Are there opinions, perceptions, or even facts that are heavily ingrained?

Here's a few I wonder. Feel free to answer some, any, or add your own to this discussion.

If you could learn anything about how to be a confident person, what would it be?

If confidence is gained by learning from mistakes, is there any mistake you would still prefer never to have made?

What are you most confident about and how did you gain that sense of confidence?

When you see someone who exudes confidence, what do you actually see that makes you believe they are confident?

When you see someone who is timid, what do you see?

Is confidence an area that matters to you or do you have a different important value? (Oh yes, please share it.)

Are you confident in one area or a confident person all around? Which do you think is more common?

Is there a dream or goal left unconquered? What would make it important enough to go for it? Would that take courage or confidence?

Add your own or come answer those already here :-) You never know, your thoughts might end up in my book!
Angie
http://www.MyGemOfWisdom.com

3 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Why do some people just never develop confidence, even with support and encouragement?

That's my question.

I'm confident in many areas, not so much in others. Confidence is also gained by knowledge, so I find the more I learn about something the better I feel about it.

I've also found that confidence is one of those things that one can also 'fake it until you make it!' Act confident and soon you will feel confident.

AngBreidenbach said...

What a great question, Diane! I honestly think it has to do with that inner voice, the self-talk. I'm going to devote a chapter to this particular area because I think you have hit a very important point.

Thanks,
Angie
http://www.MyGemOfWisdom.com

Sasha Townsend said...

Angie, I agree wholeheartedly! Self-talk makes a huge difference. Still most negative self-talk often originates with other people. We hear bad things about ourselves. If we are not careful, we repeat these labels to ourselves and we can start to believe them.

I still have to send you a message about the TM meeting! It went well and your questions were so helpful. :)

Thank you for your blog and your questions. You start conversations that get us thinking and help us build relationships with people that live half way around the world. You're a blessing. :)

I'll write you again soon!
Sasha