Sunday, August 30, 2009

Anyone know anything about miniature horses?




Meet Spanky! His registered name is Little Chap Tangerine Sky. (Uh, no, I didn't name him.)

Spanky has captured my heart. He came to me because the Jadyn Fred Foundation had him as the main raffle prize a few weeks ago. The little girl who won him couldn't keep him. So she ended up getting a puppy instead. But that left little Spanky in need of adoption.

We already have 2 other horses, Miss Piggy and Chief. So we have the land and space, no problem. He eats a mix of hay and a pellet food called Strategy. We ran out to a feed store for that today.

The problem is that I am now on a FAST learning curve about minis. I think I've just discovered a new passion :-)

We are considering the Delta Society to certify for visitation to hospitals, nursing homes, and schools. I have the website, but haven't had much time to research it. We didn't know we were getting Spanky until 2 days ago. Prep time has been a quick whirlwind.

I'd also like to train him to be ridden by children (for our grandson per my hubby) and to pull a cart. I can just see the children at a cancer center or school squealing in delight.

Spanky has just done something else. He sparked a book idea! Oh my goodness, changes can be so creative.

So if you have any knowledge or expertise in this area, please share with me. I look forward to it!

Oh, I have to tell you that Spanky likes cats. This is good since we have 3, lol.

One immediate need this weekend, Spanky is eating a lot of the salt lick. Is there ever too much salt for a mini?

Thanks,
Angie

6 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

All I know is that they are as cute as buttons!

Looks like your new muse came to you in miniature form.

L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

AngBreidenbach said...

He is a new muse! I'm finding lots of non-fiction help on the internet. There is SO much!

I have a fiction story percolating. I love the idea of taking him into visitation. The whole process can become fascinating research :-)

Angie

Teri Wilson, Romancing the pet lover's soul said...

Hey Angela,

Oh my, Spanky is a sweetheart. I was a member of Delta Society for years - yes, they do certify minis. Children adore them, so I hope the visitation certification works out for you.

Love the name of your blog!

Blessings, Teri

Teri Wilson ~ Romancing the pet lover's soul

www.teriwilson.net

AngBreidenbach said...

Thanks, Teri! I hope you'll be at conference. Maybe we can grab a coffee and I can quiz you on the Delta Society. I've found them on the internet but personal experience is always nicer :-)
Angie
www.MyGemofWisdom.com

Sunnie t. said...

Hi Angela~ Saw your blog regarding miniature horses....I was just at the "Biltmore" Estates and the lady who is in charge of the farm animals (Sorry, I don't recall her name), actually rescues miniature horses.....She is quite a character and I'm sure she would LOVE to share her knowledge and passion for these sweet animals with you! She told me that she actually has a couple of horses who live in her home and they are "potty" trained and ring a bell when they want to go out! Her ponies are as big as a great dane! VERY INTERESTING:) Have fun! Blessings, Sunnie T.

AngBreidenbach said...

Thank you, Sunni! I think that's wonderful. I'll look up the Biltmore Estates. I think this could make a really interesting research project while it's practical for me now too :-)