Saturday, July 25, 2009

Researching Pirates



Well who knew? I found this fine fellow at The Pirates special feature display when my husband, Mike, and I visited the Field Museum while in Chicago for the Mrs. International competition. (By the way, you can click on the picture and see the Gems of Wisdom necklace and bloodstone pendant a little better. I felt like I had my own special treasures with me while wearing those special pieces in the Pirates display! Afterall, I write about inner pirates and claiming your treasures ;-) )

Then I came home to review The Pirate Hunter by Tom Morrisey. His work mirrored the research I learned was done recovering the Whydda. (By the way, the only real pirate treasure ever found was in this wreck.)

Something that surprised me...not the gold, not the pirate behavior, not the fact that a huge percentage of pirates were former slaves. Nope. I stood in front of the treasure, displayed in a wooden chest, and saw silver pieces of eight. They looked like weird, dull, misshapen slugs. And yet, it was a priceless chest of silver. There will be a chapter on that coming up in Beauty: Gems of Wisdom, book 2 in the Gems of Wisdom series.

So a sunken chest that looked like it was filled with play coins has now inspired me.

Isn't it interesting that we often view something and don't really see the value?

Tell me what you once thought meant nothing and proved of great value.

Angie
PS I've uploaded the new Gems of Wisdom pieces on www.MyGemofWisdom.com including the Glamour Earrings
I wore at the Mrs. International competition. They caused such a stir that we decided to offer them for sale. Each piece of jewelry purchased helps pay the monthly salaries of the support staff and purchase the needs of the orphans in the Sanctuary of Hope homes in Kenya. So if you are looking for a gift for a birthday, anniversary, or pre-planning Christmas, please consider the Gems of Wisdom line of jewelry and give a gift of significance. Thank you :-)

2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Too early yet for me to think of something, but I did want to comment that I like your pirate friend!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

AngBreidenbach said...

Lol, me too! Later, when we didn't have any more time and were running for the taxi, I found several more. I so wanted a few more pics!