Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rehydration Recipes

I know that's a strange title! But here's the deal:

I was diagnosed today with Norovirus. I've been pretty sick the last week and a half. I'm downright dehydrated. Ugh! 

Anywho, my lovely doctor gave me some recipes to rehydrate me so she could have my blood drawn. Now I warn you, some of these are graphic . . . (Okay, that was just the image in my head when she told me one of them includes baby food.)

Recipe 1:
1 level tsp. salt
8 tsps sugar
1 liter of water
Mix and sip until gone. 

Um, okay, I could probably handle that one.

But this one?
1 Cup of Babyfood rice cereal
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
Mix, sip until gone. Gone what? Gone fishing? Gone running? Gone. Nope, nada, nix, no can do . . .

There's also pedialyte or something similar. Hmm, I could try that one. I have a sports drink for my son that is low sugar and is full of electrolytes. I squeeze the tube into a pint of water and sip until gone. Yep, yep, yep, yep, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh. (Reminiscing about the muppet character here ;-) People do weird things when they are sick. What? They don't? Hmm. Okay, it was just the delirium . . . )

But there you have it, recipes I bet most people have never even thought about. Are you adventurous? Willing to try something new?

I dare you. Try the babyfood one and let me know, lol.

Angie


2 comments:

Deb said...

See a common thread here? "Sip until gone." The key is to stay hydrated, no? So it might not matter WHAT you drink, it might matter more that you drink. Check with your dedicated health professional.

Wishing you an amazingly rapid recovery...so fast all the docs are dumfounded.

AngBreidenbach said...

LOL, yep. The biggest problem has been that water alone actually hurts. My doc says that adding the little bit of salt helps it to absorb and hurt less. She's right!
Thank you so much for the well wishes! I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Angie
(who got away with ginger cookies all afternoon, yum.)