Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Determination



I commented over at the FAITH Girls blog a minute ago. While I was answering Christy's question about how to succeed at Nanowrimo this month (50,000 words on a book in November) I stumbled on my own plan for it.

Determination.

It's the way anyone succeeds at anything.

Break it down: Determination means firmness of purpose.

But if we take that word in a few other directions...

I am determined (means I will.) It doesn't mean maybe or I'm considering.

I determined (means I already decided.) It doesn't mean I'm thinking about it and might do it.

I can now determine how to do it. It does mean that I have full control of my own choices. What I will do each day to succeed.

The determination I show every day will get me to the goal I have on November 30th. My book will be done.

If that's the case, determining what I need to do each day in the process will shape and influence my results. So I have learned that to be a determined person means I must live it in my every breath. It cannot be pushed to the background like yesterday. I may have responsibilities and things that need to happen as well as things that are beyond my control, but I can see where I blew a few chances to live determined.

That was yesterday. And I learned a great lesson. This is today. Today, I will show my determination by catching up. My plan was 2,000 words a day until I reached 50,000. That gives me 30 days to reach for 2,000 words. If it happened like I wanted it to, I'd be at 60,000 words. But since nothing in life is perfect, the smartest thing I can do is be determined to shoot past my goal of 50,000.

So I'll catch up. No one knows what the future holds, so you plan to succeed. In Tae Kwon Do, the students are taught to punch through the target, not AT the target. This way the student is able to complete the motion without getting stopped. I learned this watching my kids in class. They are taught to focus PAST the goal or target.

Now you know why my target is 60,000 words :-) I'm punching through in order to succeed at 50,000.

Is there something you want to achieve?

How are you focusing past the goal?

How are you determining what to do?

Are you experiencing determination or getting distracted?

Angie
PS I'm the Wednesday blogger over at the FAITH Girls blog today too :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I couldn't do the Nanowrimo...but I hear they might do another for January, I'll try that one.

I had a goal last month that I didn't know was going to be a goal--to finish a book-- I got an idea for another novel. I'd just finished the third in my Light of Truth series and was feeling a little "lost" without the daily grind of writing.

I missed it.

An idea popped into my head beginning of October. I started doing some mind mapping, and soon, within 2 weeks, I had 60,000 words.

Who knows if anything will happen with it, but I'm so glad I let it flow. So, maybe in January I can write the sequel to it? God only knows, right?

AngBreidenbach said...

Well, I think I'll do the one in January too. Just think, if you could do 60,000 in two weeks...what could you do in four?

I know, I know...but it's awesome to think about.

It's past midnight. I did another 2890 words yesterday. I'm going to write some more today (which means anytime before I lay down my head to rest and not the literal 24 hour day that ends at midnight.)

So I'm still fairly close to target and closing in...

Angie

AngBreidenbach said...

Well, I think I'll do the one in January too. Just think, if you could do 60,000 in two weeks...what could you do in four?

I know, I know...but it's awesome to think about.

It's past midnight. I did another 2890 words yesterday. I'm going to write some more today (which means anytime before I lay down my head to rest and not the literal 24 hour day that ends at midnight.)

So I'm still fairly close to target and closing in...

Angie