Saturday, July 26, 2008

Was it worth it?


I was asked last week on the radio if I thought pageants were a worthwhile pursuit.

Let me answer that with an absolute, YES!

Why?

Great question.

I did a little bit of model/pageanting in my teens. I feel that it gave me presentation and performance skills. I learned professional behavior on stage that I still use today off stage.

But you don't want to be a performer? Remember I said I use those skill off stage too.

Through pageants and modeling, I've learned to be more confident too. I know how to interview well and easily. Flip that around, I interview others as well for positions in our company.

What about graciousness?

That is a huge lesson that comes from pageants. Only one person really wins. It teaches us how to lose gracefully. When I've seen winners attitudes, I determined which kind I wanted to be. The gracious kind! No one likes a sore loser, but everyone hates a haughty winner!

Pageants teach us about confidence and presentation skills, yes, those are enough of a reason. Now add one more.

Learning how to take direction is an excellent benefit. Listening, multi-tasking, and connecting build on being teachable.

Okay, not enough? Let me tell you my ultimate favorite thing I've gained from pageant experience...

Now don't take this wrong, lol, I've learned how to sell myself. What do I mean?

Everyone needs to learn how to project their own personality and abilities. Presentation is one thing, it's the outside package. But the skill of projecting the inner YOU is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Learning how to get your message across in your own words and style. Accepting yourself as exactly who you are supposed to be. All that is part of maturing.

I think pageants have really helped me learn to focus on my speaking skills and professional skills.

If you or someone you know is interested in pageants, make sure you do a little homework to find those that are legit because there are sneaky people in every trade. Then don't do it halfway. Find out what it takes and do it.

I'm very proud of myself for doing my very best. What would it have been like if I hadn't? Regrets just aren't worth the energy.

The best part for me is that I've been able to give back to my community through my title as Mrs. Missoula 2008. I've had a great time, but I've also felt like I had something to give. The Jadyn Fred Foundation helping raise funds for cancer kids in Montana, Women's Fair helping with women's cancer and health issues, and businesses that allowed me to work with and promote them this year have been amazing.

So the question isn't why would you do a pageant, but what good could you do for others because you did it?

What did you learn? How did you grow? Who did you help?

Pageants are out there for a variety of reasons, titles, and opportunities.

I think they are a great vehicle for personal growth and community service.

What do you think?

Angie

No comments: